A major biogas generation facility is set to make a major contribution to renewable energy in the North East.
Wardley Biogas has received £17m of funding to construct a new plant at Follingsby Lane, Wardley which will convert unwanted organic waste into green gas for use across the region’s heat, power and transport sectors.
A team of lawyers from Ward Hadaway supported Wardley Biogas on various aspects of the transaction over an 18-month period. This included structuring and negotiating all major commercial contracts to bring the project to fruition.
Commercial Partner Matt Cormack led on the firm-wide transaction, which was also supported by Ward Hadaway’s banking, finance, property, energy and utilities, and construction teams.
Matthew Flint, Director of Wardley Biogas, said: “It has been a pleasure to work with Matt and the team at Ward Hadaway. We have a long history with Ward Hadaway as we recognise the advantages of working with a firm with their depth of understanding of the energy sector, and their work ethic in driving projects forward. Getting projects to financial close can be a stressful and demanding process, and we know that we can rely on Ward Hadaway to support us with this.”
Matt Cormack, added: “We are delighted to see this project achieve financial close and look forward to seeing the scheme enter the next phase of its development. This was a complex project, which required delivery of strategic and technical legal advice across a number of disciplines within a tight timescale. It is always exciting to work on regionally significant renewable energy projects, such as Wardley Biogas.”
The creation of Wardley Biogas presents an opportunity for the recycling of food waste in the North East to create renewable green gas. The project is backed by experienced funders and supported by BioConstruct GmbH, a biogas EPC contractor in the sector.
The scheme is also supported by project partner, Gap Organics, the food recycling division of a national waste management company based in the North East.
The work builds on Ward Hadaway’s substantial experience in the energy and biogas sector, which has received recognition this month with its Legal 500 ranking as being the pre-eminent law firm for energy work in the North.
Mark Whitehead, head of the energy and utilities team at Ward Hadaway, commented: “The Wardley Biogas project represents one aspect of the work carried out by our Energy team.
“We are currently advising clients in relation to various legal issues affecting them operating across the energy and waste sector, including generators, suppliers, contractors, funders, network operators and project developers.“
About Ward Hadaway
- Ward Hadaway is one of the UK’s Top 100 law firms with offices in Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester. It is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
- Ward Hadaway holds the Investors in People Silver accreditation in recognition of its approach to people, development and management.
- In June 2018, Ward Hadaway was named Law Firm of the Year at the Northern Law Awards.
- In May 2018, Ward Hadaway’s Healthcare team won the Client Innovation Award at the Legal Week Innovation Awards.
- In June 2017, Ward Hadaway was named Corporate Law Firm of the Year at the North East Insider Dealmaker Awards 2017. Our Managing Partner at Ward Hadaway, Martin Hulls was also crowned Lawyer of the Year in 2016.
- In June 2017, Ward Hadaway was the proud recipient of two Northern Law Awards. The corporate team was crowned Corporate/Commercial Team of the Year, while the Employment team received the accolade of Employment Team of the Year.
- Ward Hadaway has over 470 people in its team and more than 90 partners, with nationally recognised legal specialists in a wide range of sectors including Banking and Finance, Charities, Company Commercial, Construction, Licensing, Corporate Finance, Corporate Recovery and Business Restructuring, Data Protection, Debt Recovery, Dispute Resolution, Employment, Family and Matrimonial, Healthcare, Intellectual Property, Pensions, Planning, Real Estate and Residential Development, Regulatory, Social Housing, Technology, Tax, Wills and Trusts.
- It is among the top-ranked law firms in the UK according to independent legal guides Chambers & Partners 2018 and Legal 500 2017.
- Follow Ward Hadaway on Twitter @WardHadaway or visit us on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/ward-hadaway